Light guides are used to distribute light from the source to a particular area that requires illumination. They can transmit light signals though internal reflections and they are made up of a transparent material (glass or plastic) and thin filaments.
Light pipe technology, in the other hand, utilizes clear plastic tubes that transmit light from a light source. There are two basic styles of LED light pipes – rigid and flexible – and both are capable of redirecting light with minimal loss of concentration.
Let’s see the advantages of both of them.
Advantages of Light Guide
- Cost: cost savings in energy consumption.
- Design: thinness of the product, efficient, fits in tight spaces
- Performance: uniformly lit appearance
Advantages of Light Pipe
- Cost: low cost
- Design: design flexibility, efficient, easy to install
- Performance: low glare, uniform illumination, can diffuse or redirect light. Light pipes transmit up to 80% of emitted light with excellent visual performance.